Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 23:51:40 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in (Rahul Siddharthan)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org (Arun Sharma), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"

> That's interesting to know, and it will also be interesting to
> see whether such problems or litigation do arise in the near
> future, given the platitudes everyone's now heaping on the merits
> of the "open source movement".

People who have read an abstract of Raymond's "The Cathedral And
th Bazaar" are writing most of the articles.  They haven't read
the full text, nor do they credit the person at The Foresight
Institue <http://www.foresight.org/>; who coined the term "Open
Source" in the first place.

I think that if a professional software company were to do a
formal code review on "fetchmail", the case-study basis for
Raymond's paper, and publish the results, the entire Open Source
movement might very well falter as "an obviously bad idea, in
retrospect".  The press is already starting to back up on the
idea of Linux (right or wrong); see:

    <http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2470425,00.html>;

I think litigation is only going to be an issue when Open Source
becomes more than a paper-dragon threat to commercial enterprises;
right now they only see it as a threat on their intellectual
property portfolios, if not held at arms length, like a dead skunk,
and as a means of tricking the mainstream press into publishing
their press releases.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---