Date:      27 Mar 2001 10:19:51 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: proxy configuration issues

dougy@bryden.apana.org.au (Doug Young) writes:

> Would someone please point me in the correct direction for info on
> configuring FreeBSD gateway system connected to the internet via
> cable (DHCP address) as a proxy for remote machines whose main
> connection to the net is via another dialup connection (there is a
> dialup modem link between the machines)

Can you explain what you want to do in a little more detail?

> No machines are currently running squid, but I guess thats one of
> the key items.  This has been done with Wingate / Win2K so it should
> be quite feasible with FreeBSD

Okay, so you're talking about web traffic specifically.  If you have
squid running on the gateway system, and the "remote" systems have
(possibly static) routes to the gateway system's address (or network)
to override their default routes, then the "remote systems" will use
the dialup link to get to the gateway.  You should then be able to
configure the software on them to proxy through the gateway.

I'm sorry if this isn't very clear, but then again, I'm not sure I
understand the question properly.