Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 2015 13:52:05 -0400
From:      PK1048 <paul@pk1048.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Permissions problem for sane

On Aug 10, 2015, at 13:39, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> It's important to summarize that FreeBSD and Linux are different
> operating systems. That nothing in the comparison of "good vs. bad",
> it is simply a difference worth acknowledging to prevent unrealistic
> expectations. :-)

I would hasten to add that each has their strengths and weaknesses. I =
like to say that I am OS Agnostic, not that I think the OS does not =
matter, but that I choose the OS based on the job I need to get done. =
For example, for many of the reasons listed, I would choose Linux as the =
OS for a Unix-Like Workstation over FreeBSD or Solaris/Illumos even =
though I think that both the FreeBSD and Solaris kernels are _much_ =
stronger kernels. But, the vast majority of Unix-Like Desktop utilities =
and environments are developed _for_ Linux so they run better in that =
environment. On the other hand, unless and application requires Linux, I =
tend to prefer FreeBSD for servers.

Each has their place and using the _correct_ OS for the task at hand can =
make the task easier to accomplish and (possibly) more reliable.