Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 21:58:02 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Eric Ogren <eogren@earthlink.net>
Cc:        John Michelini <John1mick@cs.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pedantic PPP Primer clarification

Eric Ogren wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 07:10:12PM -0700, John Michelini wrote:
>
>> 2) Will I run into problems if I use the example IP addresses in the Primer
>> for Creating the List of LAN hosts (in the /etc/hosts directory) for my
>> hosts?
>
> Nope; 192.168.* addresses are specifically reserved for private networks,
> so you can use them without problems.

I'll fix the primer to make it clear you can use these addresses.  I'll
also update it to say RFC 1918 instead of RFC 1597 since the latter is
obsolete.

John, if the text had said:

        The IP addresses on the Ethernet side of this sample LAN have
        been taken from a pool of addresses reserved by RFC 1918 for
        use on private LANs, so you are free to use these actual IP
        addresses on your own LAN if you want. IP addresses are assigned
        as follows:

would that have been clear enough? :-) If so, I'll commit that.  If not,
improvements are welcome.

--
Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
FreeBSD Documentation Project /