Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:14:03 -0500
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   init 1 triggers hardware fault

I have been having hardware freezes since ibm swapped the motherboard
on my A21p.  These freezes happen both under freebsd and win98.

Before freezing, the cd drive is spun (but disabling it in the bios and/
or kernel does not stop the freezes).  Heat seems to be a factor; it
happens more on warmer days and at my house (where it's likely to be on
my lap).  It's not a bad dimm; I've swapped slots andrun with both
singly, and the problem remains.  I can also compile with loads near 10
without triggering the problem (on the right days :).

I've found now thatI can duplicate the problem on demand.  Writing to
the dos partition usually triggers a panic.  I can halt and reboot, but
"init 1" seems to cause it every time.  Sometimes I get a
readout, while other times I am informed of the panic. It claims to
sync the disks, but they're still dirty on reoot.

The offending process seems always to be ngctl

I knowI have a serious hardware problem, but I'd like to be able to
point to something specific that they can find (rather than trying to
blame the OS).

The message is roughly (hand copied, then typed):
(values in parentheses are from additional runs).

f virtual adress: 0xc1951ee4   (1950ee4, 194fee4)
f code:           sup read, page not present
inst. pointer:    0x8:0xc1951ee4 (1950ee4, 194fee4)
st. ptr.:         0x10: 9xd4a74c18 (d4a4ac18,4a45c18)
frame ptr:        0x10:0xd4a74e2c (same as st. ptr but ends in 2c)
code seg:         base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                  DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
proc eflags:      int enabled, resum, IOPL=0
cur. proc:        243 (ngctl) (207, 203)
syncing disks: 15 8 6 4 3 2 1  (12 2, 9 1)

hawk

--
What part of "non-negotiable" didn't you understand? /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700           \ /   against HTML mail