Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 11:22:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        Kees.Koster@nym.sc.philips.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (freeq)
Subject:   Re: SOYO SY-30F2 blues

Kees Jan Koster wrote...
> Hoi Hardware,

[SNIP]
> A week ago I added a 'Diamond Stealth 64 video 2001' to my system.
> Pretty cool video card, but not for me. X crashes my system (as in
> immediate reboot). Needless to say Descent^H^H^H^H^H^H^HMS-DOS runs
> fine :( I have no MS Windows to try it with.

[SNIP]

I had a memory problem with 2 PCI cards - in my case a Cirrus Logic 5434
and an Adaptec 2940.  As with your case, the cards were grabbing the same
memory area.  I 'cured' it by swapping their positions on the motherboard.
It seems that they were deciding on their memory area by some kind of
base x slot number calculation.  When they were in the positions I used
first, they overlaid each other, after I reversed them, the problem
disappeared.

Although my experience is with different cards, and I'm no hardware
maven - try swapping slots - it couldn't hurt!

John
--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key