Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 20:41:17 -0600
From:      Mark Hummel <mhumm2@mchsi.com>
To:        Steve McNelly <stevemcn@snics.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't Get Sound to Work - Pls Help!

Steve,

First of all, thank you for the reply, I appreciate your help.  Now to get
into it.   I've recompiled my kernel after
commenting out the device csa line.  Now the only sound driver included is:

device 	pcm

The file /tmp/mcop-mark  does contain an empty directory and 2 files:

mhumm2# cd /tmp

mhumm2# ls -l
total 13
drwxrwxrwx  2 mark  wheel  512 Mar 25 16:17 .ICE-unix
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel   11 Mar 25 16:17 .X0-lock
drwxrwxrwt  2 root  wheel  512 Mar 25 16:17 .X11-unix
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  189 Mar 24 14:39 dcop4LEZEh
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  201 Mar 25 16:17 dcopNctbYw
drwx------  2 erin  wheel  512 Mar 24 15:43 kde-erin
drwx------  2 mark  wheel  512 Dec 29 22:14 kde-mark
drwx------  4 root  wheel  512 Mar 25 16:18 kde-root
drwx------  2 erin  wheel  512 Mar 24 15:43 ksocket-erin
drwx------  2 mark  wheel  512 Mar 25 09:21 ksocket-mark
drwx------  2 root  wheel  512 Mar 25 20:27 ksocket-root
drwxrwxrwx  3 mark  wheel  512 Dec 29 22:35 mcop-mark
drwx------  2 root  wheel  512 Mar 24 14:39 mcop-root

mhumm2# cd mcop-mark

mhumm2# ls -l
total 2
srwxr-xr-x  1 mark  wheel    0 Dec 29 22:31 -032a-3c2e98ab
drwx------  2 mark  wheel  512 Dec 29 21:19 artsd-samples
-rw-------  1 mark  wheel   32 Dec 29 21:19 secret-cookie

Are you sure you want me to delete  /tmp/mcop-mark?  And if so, would I not
want to also delete the mcop
files for root and erin (another user and my daughter)?  What do I lose by
deleting this directory and everything
in it?

As far as running everything as a user, it's a good idea, but a lot of the
configuration stuff I'm doing requires root
authorization.  When I get this system set up well, I'd love to login as a
user only.

Okay, I've recompiled and deleted the directory /tmp/mcop-mark.

Wrapper is going to be a bit more difficult:

mhumm2# cd /usr/ports/x11/wrapper
mhumm2# make install clean
===>  wrapper-1.0_1 is forbidden: This port is for XFree86-4.
===>  Cleaning for XFree86-3.3.6_9
===>  Cleaning for wrapper-1.0_1

Well Steve, it looks like I'm using XFree86-3.3.6_9.  What do you recommend?

Mark