Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 00:55:15 -0700
From:      "Scott Carmichael" <freebsd@jobeus.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Q about the benefit of using freebsd in business

> Most obviously, FreeBSD offers two benefits over the more typical
choices
> like Microsoft:

> 1. Stability
> 2. Price.

> FreeBSd is free and it's much more stable.

Though I won't argue about #2, I've had quite a stable experience with
Windows 2000 and Windows XP, on multiple systems, though yes, there has
been insecurities to worry about. Actually, a box that I used for Visual
C++ development (Windows 2000) had an uptime of 98 days before I quit
work and had to hand it back to IT... And my boxes at home rarely are
rebooted except to move hardware around.

However, my FreeBSD box, though quasi-stable has done two weird things
in it's history: Froze (caps lock wouldn't even trigger) upon playing
any sound (apparently a known and unfixed problem with Aureal Sound
Drivers), and once after getting hammered with ssh and rlogin attempts,
FreeBSD just simply took itself off the network and I couldn't seem to
get it to reconnect. It wouldn't ping anything at all. Very weird.
Rebooting fixed that, but still.

In addition, with many flavours of Linux, I've experienced repeated
hangs loading various network drivers on startup, for apparently no
reason. All in all, I've had some weird problems, and can't really
support a "more stable" claim, though I know that most of you guys will
disagree, that's just been my experience.

--
Scott Carmichael
http://jobeus.net