Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 11:24:51 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Stefan <veith@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree & graphic cards

Stefan asked:
 % I have got one question: Which graphic card would you recommend for
 % XFree 3.2 (or 3.3.1, but at the moment I use 3.2): the ELSA Winner 1000
 % T2D (chipset: S3V2/DX) or the Hercules Dynamite 128/Video (ET6000)?
 %
 % Yes, I know, ask the XFree86 people, you might say. But I thought you
 % could tell me if there were any complications on FreeBSD or which is the
 % better one (in general and on XFree 3.2 or 3.3.1)?

Doug White writes:
 > Well, FreeBSD could care less either way since it runs in text mode.
 >
 > I personally edge toward the S3 or Mach64 since they're widely known and
 > the Brooktree TV capture cards work with them.  :)

I've had difficulty getting XF86 3.2 and 3.3 to configure on some ET6000
cards a coworker bought over my protestations.  I've never had any
problems configuring XF86 3.x on the S3 cards I've used; I'll probably
never buy anything else for general FreeBSD/XF86 work.