Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 23:10:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/36546: absolute symbolic links in FreeBSD 4.5

The following reply was made to PR i386/36546; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Cc: Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 16:09:47 +0900

 mrspock>  I found about five, try:

 Ok, here it is the list:

 	/etc/termcap (-> /usr/share/misc/termcap)
 	/etc/rmt (-> /usr/sbin/rmt)
 	/usr/bin/newaliases (-> /usr/sbin/mailwrapper)
 	/usr/bin/mailq (-> /usr/sbin/mailwrapper)
 	/usr/sbin/sendmail (-> /usr/sbin/mailwrapper)

 mrspock>  I was installing a diskless workstation.  In the server I do
 mrspock>  not have a floppy disk driver and I did not installed
 mrspock>  mtools.  In the client I had the need of using floppies.  I
 mrspock>  installed the client operating system in a disk slice and
 mrspock>  mounted it in the server [let us say in "/dl" directory].  I
 mrspock>  exported "/dl" with all its directories; installed mtools
 mrspock>  and it crossed the file systems.  dl/usr/local/bin/mwrite ->
 mrspock>  /usr/local/bin/mtools and I could not use mcopy in the
 mrspock>  client.

 I assume that in this example, /dl is a "root" directory for this
 diskless workstation, right?  If yes, /dl/usr/local/bin should be
 treated as /usr/local/bin to this diskless workstation, so this
 symlink should work as it should be...

 -- -
 Makoto `MAR' Matsushita