Date:      Thu, 14 May 2015 22:10:16 +0100
From:      Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups@NTLWorld.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: nosh version 1.14

Lars Engels:
> It sound very useful. Do you provide virtual machine images or ISOs so
> interested people can give it a try easily?

I'm not sure that I agree with that use of the adverb "easily". (-:

nosh isn't a whole operating system.  It's a toolset, to form part of,
or to use on, an operating system.  At the moment, you install it in the
fashion that the FreeBSD Handbook calls "typical". There's a .tar.bz2
source archive.  It unpacks into a self-contained build tree, where the
binaries are built.

*
http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/Softwares/nosh/source-package.html

Installing is a little hairy, still.  "package/export /usr/local" does
most of it on my system, but there are still some manual steps that
follow that, especially in the separate-/usr-volume case.

The Debian Linux side of things is a little ahead in this regard. One of
the reasons that I mentioned that the packaging was a "big deal" on the
Linux side in an earlier message was that in this version (and even more
so in version 1.15 that I have under development) I've finally got
maintainer scripts doing the automatic native nosh preset/disable of
service bundles to such an extent that an entire system almost installs
from packages.

*
http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/Softwares/nosh/debian-binary-packages.html

I hope to catch up with that on the BSD side.  But I need to learn BSD
packaging first.  (-:

And as I said, there's that little matter of 80-some things that need
dealing with.

That said, if you need pointers on what to do after "package/compile &&
sudo package/export /usr/local" here is a good place to ask.  You can
stop after "package/compile" and view "guide/index.html" in your
favourite WWW browser and read the man pages located under "manual/".