Date:      Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:37:24 +0200
From:      "JP Klodzinski" <jpk@gmx.org>
To:        "FreeBSD gnats submit" <FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   i386/83925: Now boot after BOIS update

>Number:         83925
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Now boot after BOIS update
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

System: FreeBSD 6.0-BETA1 #0: Tue Jul 19 13:48:56 CEST 2005
    root@mobility.jpk.lan:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MOBILITY

HW: Dell Latitude D610

After updateing the BIOS to the latest BIOS-Version A04 FreeBSD doesn't boot. Following error occures:

Invalid slice
Invalid slice
No /boot/loader

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: 0: ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:
Invalid slice
No /kernel

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: 0: ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:

I tried this on an other HDD with the Snap 5 from 6.0-Current and FreeBSD 5.3-Release. Both i could install but after the reboot the same error as above occured.

After downgrading the BIOS to Version A03 everything worked.

This are the Release Notes from the Dell-BIOS A04

BIOS Release Notes

Systems: Dell Latitude D610 Series
Version: A04
Build Date: 06/29/2005

Intel 915GM Graphics Video BIOS version 1219
ATI Mobility Radeon X300 Video BIOS version 8.017M.192.062

Issues Fixed:
=============
1. Fixed issue where hotplugged IDE drives would be not be programmed to
the optimal transfer mode.
2. Fixed issue in which Windows intermittently reports an "unexpected error"
when the BIOS flash program is launched, which prevents the BIOS
update from occurring.
3. Fixed issue where BIOS Setup reports the RAM size incorrectly on the next
boot after corrupting CMOS.
4. Fixed intermittent problem where, after the user creates a hard disk
password with an Admin password already installed, the Admin password
will not unlock the hard disk on subsequent boots. The Admin password
should unlock the hard disk password in this situation.
5. Fixed performance problem seen when running Microsoft Virtual PC.
6. Optimized CD-ROM timing for DOS mode transfers.
7. Reduced potential headphone noise.

Enhancements:
=============
1. Added support for warm undocking System Setup option. The undock method
can be configured as either "Hot Undock" or "Warm Undock" using the
new "Undocking Method" field in System Setup. The system must be
rebooted after changing this field. Previously, the system would only
allow hot-undocking. When warm-undocking, the system enters Standby
mode if the dock eject button is pressed or the user commands the
Operating System to undock the computer from the Start Menu.
The default behavior is Hot Undock. This allows the system
to stay powered on when undocking.

PLEASE NOTE: Regardless of how "Undocking Method" is configured,
the user must notify the system before undocking by either pressing
the dock eject button or commanding the OS to undock the computer
from the Start Menu.
2. Add support for newer versions of the Intel Pentium M processor.
3. Upgraded ATI VBIOS
4. Upgraded Intel VBIOS to version 1219, which provides enhanced graphics
performance.
5. Upgraded ATI VBIOS to version 8.17M.192.062 to optimize performance.
6. Upgraded Broadcom PXE rom version and added an RPL boot option to the
BIOS one-time boot menu.
7. Added support for INT 13 DMA transfers (under DOS) when operating in
protected mode. This is specifically meant to address a performance
issue seen by some customers who are running Ghost under DOS in
protected mode.

The BIOS release has been validated on the following operating systems:
1. Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2.
2. Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4.

Regards

JPK