Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 1997 15:17:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, StevenR362@aol.com, rcarter@consys.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux ELF codine no go on 2.2 Gamma

> > % ln -s /compat/linux/.../somebinary ~/bin/somename
> > % rehash
> > % somename
> >
> > ... BOOM!
>
> Huh?  There's no earth-shattering KABOOM from that - that's what you get
> now.

"BOOM!", not "KABOOM!"... as in "fails to foolow rule of least astonishment
and operate as expected by the user".

> > Also, if I type "foo", it doesn't look for "foo" in my path, then for
> > "foo" in the same path in the compat hierarchy using the subdirectories
> > of compat as virtual "/".  The reason "compat" works at all is that
> > it adulterates the path lookup using system calls *in the emulator's
> > system call table*.  If you aren't running the program from a Linux
> > binary (for instance, a Linux binary for your shell), then it won't
> > look in compat when trying to find the program to run it.
>
> ... unless you have /compat/* on your path.

Yeah, you *could* have a huge path... show of hands?  8-).

> > But it's one mother of a kludge to get arough changing the ld program
> > with the patches that John Polstra already submitted to the Linux and
> > GNU people.  8-).
>
> Given the latest glibc actually changes the dynamic linker to the _same_
> path as the SysV one, I can only see the current situation getting worse.
>
> All I'm proposing is adding an extra hint, that may help some people,
> not trying to save the world.

John's patches to the gld add an ABI tag to the files generated by
gld; since the *only* files in Linux and FreeBSD, for all practical
purposes, are those generated by gld/binutils, it stands to reason
that it will fix the problem "The Right Way(tm)".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.