Date:      Tue, 05 Sep 2000 13:24:56 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Steve Van Den Akker <vandena@ispchannel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie kernel compile question

Steve Van Den Akker wrote:

> Kent:
>
> Seemed to work.  Thanks for the idea.  I have a cron job for cvsup for
> weekly updates.
>
> Quick question...how often should cvsup and makeworld be accomplished?  Is
> there an automated script available for it to make it easier?

I'm not the one to ask. I want to see what happens and won't use an
automated script. I'm also retired. I feel that it is really important
to try the builds right after you do a cvsup. An error building a week
old cvsup doesn't mean much because if there was a real error it has
most likely been fixed and you will be both a stray and a misleading
datapoint.

I usually bump into a thread that has the kernel or buildworld broken.
I keep my two user machines fairly current and I'll try to upgrade one
of them to the current 4.1-Stable. I keep a copy of my cvsup.log. If I
can rebuild my userland, then I feel strongly that it is a user
problem. You can't state that absolutely. Kernels are really specific
but there are times when they fail for everyone. If I can't rebuild my
system, there can be a generic problem or more than one user with user
problems :). If three or more user's show up with the same problem, I
begin feel that someone introduced a problem in the sources and start
looking at my cvsup.log to see who modified what. A good place to
start doing this is http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/. This is a
really cool setup because it will let you look at the sources and all
of the delta's. The responsible individual always leaves their
fingerprints behind and you drop them a message.

Kent