Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 2003 18:27:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Prism2 firmware upload support.

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> I've looked into it.  Primary/secondary versions aren't as interesting
> as the actual product ID for determining which hex file to load.

> There's also a need for getting additional data out of the current
> firmware so it can be merged into the hex file before we burn the new
> firmware.  There's also a number of sanity checks that need to be made

Yes - I've started with extracting the PDA information in a way so that it
can be read by the likes of prism2dl. I find that I now need to decode the
hex files in much more detail (Up to know I assumed it was just an intel
hex file which needed to be uploaded in a some bit of ram. Turns out there
is more to it than that :-(.

> to make sure that primary firmware is compatible with the secondary
> firmware you are loading, etc.

Aye - I've also added an ioctl to get the 3 id/major/minor/variant values
for nic/pri/sec; which is enough to drive prism2dl together with the PDA
info.

> to preclude it coming back up, do the firmware upload, and then call
> wi_init again.  It may make sense to set certain flags based on the
> new version, but I don't think much else is required.

Thanks - will limit myself to that.

Dw