Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 1997 08:20:35 +0100 (MET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au (Daniel O'Callaghan)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Audible ping response changes to ping.c

According to Daniel O'Callaghan:

> > > Hmmmm. :-)
> >

> > Here is a revised version that transparently provides a "-a" option
> > to the real ping command without adding it to the real ping command:
>
> Thanks, Terry, are you going to submit a man page?

Ok, so it's a nice idea to build functionality from small bits, but
this is ridiculous! :-) We're talking excanging about three lines of
C code with a big script. This is just a way too small change not to
be well jusified to go into ping as an option. The latest patch for ping
seemed just fine, although I'd think '-b' would be more logical.
You think "Hmm... now, what option was it that ping beep? Hmm..." and try
"-b". You don't think "What made ping audiable?". :-P

...IMHO.

   /Mikael