Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 16:23:00 -0800
From:      Scott Gasch <sgasch@microsoft.com>
To:        "'Clarence_Griffin@ed.gov'" <Clarence_Griffin@ed.gov>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: X display 'laps' itself.

Hi,

This problem sounds like your XF86Config file is setup incorrectly;
your video card is attempting to drive your monitor at a rate it
cannot handle.  Have you tried switching to different video res-
olutions (via ctl-alt-+ under X)?  You may be able to get the
screen into a workable state this way.  If this is the case, you
may want to edit /etc/XF86Config and kill the video mode that
causes the screen to be funky.

Another fix may be to re-create your XF86Config file.  First, save
old version which is in /etc.  Move it to XF86.old or something.
Then, use xf86config or XF86Setup to specify your video card,
mouse, monitor etc... These programs both make a new XF86Config
file by asking you a bunch of questions.  xf86config can be run
in an xterm under X whereas XF86Setup must be run from a character
terminal without X running as it starts up X itself and presents
you with a 640x480 GUI.  As a note, you should know the capabilities
of your monitor (refresh rates, see manual), what kind of mouse you
have (serial, ps/2 etc...) and what kind of video card you have when
you invoke these programs because they will ask you and you don't
want to appear stupid in front of them. ;)

Once you have created a new XF86Config file, try to restart the X
server.  If it is running, you can kill it with a ctl-alt-backspace.
Then you can restart it via startx or xdm.  Don't worry about screw-
ing up because you have a saved XF86 config file.  Unless you screw
up really bad and cause your monitor to explode.  ;)  Seriously,
if you don't know your monitor's specs, be conservative (don't say:
"hell, my monitor can do ANYTHING!")

If these things do not work, I would suspect some strangiousity
with your built-in video card.  Good luck with your troubles!

Scott