Date:      Sun, 22 May 2011 14:10:44 -0400
From:      Sahil Tandon <sahil@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "net/sendemail" fails after updating Perl

On Sun, 2011-05-22 at 21:18:24 +0400, Ruslan Mahmatkhanov wrote:

> 22.05.2011 02:30, Jerry =D0=BF=D0=B8=D1=88=D0=B5=D1=82:
> >I have a feeling that more will be crawling out of the woodwork. In
> >any case, it is a problem that needs solving.
>=20
> No, it just took my mind that switching to the 5.14, is not mandatory
> so bumping this ports will be pointless to all users (and they are
> most of users) who decide to stay with old perl - they just end up
> with unneeded superfluous rebuilds. And those who want to be on the
> edge with perl should follow UPDATING entry (rebuild all that depends
> on perl) or resolve such issues manually.  But they surely should be
> bumped when ports tree will be switched to 5.14 as a main perl
> version.

Exactly.  5.14 is not default; the whole point is for users and
volunteers to contribute with constructive feedback and patches to
improve integration with FreeBSD.  It should come as no surprise that
this is an iterative process with unavoidable bumps along the way.

--=20
Sahil Tandon <sahil@FreeBSD.org>