Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 08:47:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@nwu.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is 3.4-release to 3.4-stable recommended?

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, David J. Kanter wrote:

> I recently bought the 4-CD set of 3.4-release and wonder if it's recommended
> to cvsup the source tree to 3.4-stable and the ports tree to current. I'm
> hesitant because, once stable, don't the packages and ports on the 4-CD set
> become null? It's a lot easier to install off CDs than rely on downloads
> over a modem.

Ports tend to get upgraded pretty quickly, so chances are there are newer
versions available of a lot of your ports. If you dont mind not having the
absolute latest versions of everything, and only upgrade a port when you
need to or theres a security advisory, etc, it's fine.

> But, if my home PC will be that much better being stable, then perhaps I
> should make the plunge.

Not all that much has changed from 3.4-R to 3.4-S, really. The 3.x branch
is winding down now that 4.0 is out. So basically unless there's something
you cant do with 3.4, by all means stick with it! :-)

Kris

----