Date:      Sat, 27 Aug 2011 17:01:24 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   System hanging, error messages with USB drive on FreeBSD 8.1

I'm working with a FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE/amd64 machine that's
attempting to write data to an ordinary Kingston 8 GB microSD card.
The card has been inserted into its USB adapter and plugged into a
USB port on the machine. The system is locking up repeatedly with
messages that say

(da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): SYNCHRONIZE CACHE(10). CDB: 35 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
(da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): SCSI sense: Error code 0x52

A Web search reveals that problems like this have cropped up for
many, many FreeBSD users as far back as 4.x. But I can't seem to
find any solution (which amazes me; if there's a bug, one would
think it would have gotten some attention). Do I have to abandon
the use of FreeBSD with USB thumb drives (or maybe with USB
altogether)? Hope not, but I may have to if I can't get this fixed.

--Brett Glass