Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 16:22:08 AKDT
From:      Random Liegh <randomliegh@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "no ufs", aggravated beyond belief

Hi
This is _NOT_ fun. I have tried downloading freebsd 3 times so far and
each time I have gotten the same message: "no ufs". I have formatted the
drives properly, and installed the boot loader. I used the "novice" install
option and did not skip any of the steps, but still
cannot boot from my hard drive, even though the install disks can read the
hard drive and mount it just fine.
I'm trying to get this to run on a 486 that has the following specs:
486DX2/66 cpu
Seagate 1.6G hd (with ontrack diskmanager--worked w/ previous versions of
FreeBSD 2.x and 3.0)
8 megs ram
creative labs 32x cdrom.

This is a copy of the error message I get on start up: I wrote this down
after the second attempt, but it hasn't changed at all from then to now:
F1 DOS
F2 FreeBSD

Default: F1

Not ufs
Not ufs

No /boot/loader

>>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default:0:wd(0,a)/kernel
boot:
Not ufs
No /kernel

>>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default:0:wd(0,a):/kernel
boot:

I had thought that it might be because I had my partitions set up so that
the kernel resided above the 1024 cylynder mark; but I have (again!!
Grrrrrrrrr) repartitioned my disks and I have to root partition in the 423m
and 463M area.
I've tried entering different options into the bootmenu, with no success:
I've tried running "bootinst.exe boot.bin" and then using the install disk
to write the scheme out to disk, to no success...I have no idea at all now,
and to add insult to injury it seems neither my isp's mail or hotmail.com
can handle addresses such as ".ORG".

As I said before, I have gotten FreeBSD to work on this machine in the past,
and I have been running linux off and on since 96 (and not had anything
close to this problem there).I do not have any ideas at this point.....any
help anyone can give would be appreciated, and I can furnish any further
info you need.
Sincerly,
A now-very-insane-FreeBSD-newbie