Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 08:19:23 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stream.c worst-case kernel paths

At 02:04 AM 1/22/2000 , sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

> > You're right. Actually, shouldn't RST-<anything else> be tossed,
> > since you should never reply to a RST?
>
>Try tcpdump -n 'tcp[13]&4==4' and you'll see a steady stream of RST+ACK
>packets.

Yes, I forgot: the ACK flag most certainly can be on when RST is
on. A RST+ACK is actually specified as the standard response in two
situations in the RFC. In fact, the packets evoked by stream.c are
RST+ACK packets.

RST+SYN and RST+FIN should definitely be dropped. I don't know what
one would do with RST+URG or RST+PSH; I would tend to think that
one would want to drop these rather than letting them modify
the state of any connection, since they could be part of an
attack.

--Brett