Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 13:15:20 -0700
From:      Joe Bo <ibjoe@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ipfw, natd and DNS

Hi,

I'm running v3.2 with ipfw and natd on a 2 nic machine
as a gateway for a RFC1918 network of windows PCs.

I changed the firewall type to "simple", and my internal
network could no longer get internet access.

of course in rc.firewall I have:
$fwcmd add divert natd all from any to any via ${natd_interface}
as the first line.

The problem was the port 53 was not getting though.

when I changed the original lines:
    # Allow DNS queries out in the world
    $fwcmd add pass udp from any 53 to ${oip}
    $fwcmd add pass udp from ${oip} to any 53
    # Allow DNS queries out in the world
    $fwcmd add pass udp from any 53 to any
    $fwcmd add pass udp from any to any 53

then it worked. Someone told me it was because I didn't have named
running, so I added and configured that, it is correct I think.
but I still have to have the more open port 53 lines in rc.firewall.

Can anyone tell me, am I doing something wrong or ???

Thanks to all who can respond,

Joe

P.S. I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed, if
you point me at the thread I will check it out.