Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 11:39:24 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Banu Ozden <ozden@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: scsi target mode

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Banu Ozden wrote:

> here's a diagram depicting what we want to do. we're trying to setup
> a PC (PC2 below) with an adaptec controller to act as an emulated disk.
> PC 1 will access the disks on PC 2.

I don't do this on FreeBSD, but I do a lot of this under HP/UX.  Our
configurations look like this:

---------------       ---------       ----------------
| Host Adaptor0|      | DISKS |       | Host Adaptor1 |
| SCSI ID=7    |======|       |=======| SCSI ID=6     |
|              |      |       |       |               |

As for termination, remember that SCSI is a bus.  It goes from here to
there, and has a terminator at each end.  We no longer use the on card
termination.  HP make a nifty pass-through terminator (part number C2980A,
for F/W/D busses only) that allows one controller be disconnected without
breaking bus termination.  Very handy if you need to do work on one system
without disturbing the application running on the other.  I advise against
putting a SCSI controller in the middle, unless you use a Y cable.

Regards,

David Scheidt