Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:08:00 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        audit@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new kldpath(8): display/modify the module search path

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 03:36:00PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg> writes:
> > Comments?  Objections?  Flames?
>
> I think it's a good idea, especially if it does additional checking
> (like checking that the directory exists, and that it's owned by root
> and isn't world-writeable).

It currently only checks that the directory exists, and this check
can be overridden by specifying an -f flag, just in case a startup
script is adding a directory that is to be mounted later.

But yes, the root-owned and !world-writable checks are a nice idea.
Maybe kldpath should go ldconfig's way: check everything by default,
and have an -i (insecure) option?

> BTW, we should use : instead of ; as separators.

This change wouldn't be too difficult to make - a one-line change
to src/sys/kern/kern_linker.c - but that file has the following comment:

 * The search path can be manipulated via sysctl.  Note that we use the ';'
 * character as a separator to be consistent with the bootloader.

So, it could be a problem..

G'luck,
Peter

--
Hey, out there - is it *you* reading me, or is it someone else?