Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:44:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matt Piechota <piechota@argolis.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The "race" that Theo sought to avoid has begun (Was: OpenSSH  Advisory)

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Brett Glass wrote:

> Theo made a worthy attempt to minimize harm (which should be the goal of
> any security policy). It's a shame that ISS sought the spotlight instead
> of doing the same.

ISS has shown itself with this and the Apache vulerabilites last week to
happily screw the maintainers of projects for it's own benefit.  It seems
at least this time they bothered give the OpenSSH team a little notice.
Of course, I don't track the skiddie world, so ISS's report may be a
reaction to a released exploit for this bug.  I'd like to give them the
benefit of the doubt, but their past actions make that difficult.

Although I will admit that knowing now has saved my vacation plans for
next week (as with many others in the US, I'm sure) so I'm not entirely
unhappy to find out that I'm safe for the moment.

--
Matt Piechota