Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 2014 08:33:56 -0700
From:      Patrick Powell <papowell@astart.com>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make -DNO_ROOT to create chroot, problem installing into chroot with pkg

On 09/09/14 13:51, Julio Merino wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> I believe the majority of packages don't suffer from post-install
>> scripts hence the suggestion that extracting in the right place without
>> root would solve 80-90% of the problem (and probably take no more than
>> 10% of the work).  I could live with the pain of not having scripts run
>> during install.  The correct long term fix as proposed by bapt is the do
>> anyway with most scripts in favor of common actions and if any
>> significant scripts remain add the ability to run them on first boot.
> Cool; glad to hear. This sounds like a good plan.

Having dealt with 'run on first boot' installation issues,  I don't
think that this is a good idea.
Have you ever tried to debug one of these little beasts?   And make sure
that the script is removed
so that it does not run again?  And deal with adding a whole new
infrastructure to deal with this SEPARATE
from the current FreeBSD configuration?

I lived through the headaches dealing with startup scripts having to be
added to things like /etc/rc.local and
finally seeing the consensus of using /usr/local/etc/rc.d/xxxx for
separate scripts...

And now you want to add something like:
/usr/local/etc/run_on_first_boot/xxxx?

Please reconsider adding 'run on first boot' capabilities.