Date:      Tue, 13 May 2008 22:30:16 -0400
From:      "Joachim Rosenfeld" <joerosenfeld@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   major CD errors when installing 7.0 (only 7.0)!

I decided to upgrade my PC at home to FreeBSD 7.0, I've been running
it at work and on my work laptop with no problems.

But when I installed via the 7.0 disk 1, I received CD errors when I
got to the point where it started copying the base distribution off
the disk.

When I booted off the same CD again, I saw something similar to the following:

acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=... ascq=...

At first I assumed that it was my CD ROM drive (which has never given
any problems) or a bad  CD, so I burned a FreeBSD 7.0 LiveDisk and
tried that, same thing. I burned 7.0-bootonly from a different
machine, and I got the same problem.

The odd thing is that my 6.1 and 6.3 bootdisks don't have this error
on startup  (I confirmed that it is an issue on 7.0 by burning a brand
new 6.3 disk and was able to install successfully).

Clearly 7.0 causes something to barf on my CDROM drive.

A web search for this error shows various people have had this problem
on 4.6, 5.3, etc.

Can anyone help?

Joe