Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:06:05 -0700
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 1.4.2p6 problems on 5.x

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 11:32:47AM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Greg Lewis wrote:
>
> > Can everybody who is having trouble with 1.4.2p6 on 5.x please try using
> > libmap.conf(5) to map libkse to libc_r and see if the problems persist.
> > Also, please report if this makes a difference.
>
> Remember also that you can't use any Nvidia provided drivers and/or
> libraries (OpenGL) with libkse or libthr.  If folks are having problems
> make sure this is not the cause.
>
> The other potential problem with the jdk using libkse (or even libthr)
> is that other libraries installed in the system may be pulling in
> libc_r.  For instance /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.  I'm not sure how
> the jvm works, but if this ends up in different thread libraries
> being pulled in, you can have problems.  I suggest everyone having
> problems to use a libmap.conf with libc_r mapped to libkse.
> Anyone that has to use NVidia supplied drivers/OpenGL, use a reverse
> mapping.
>
> > If I get a few positive reports for this I think we should shift the port
> > back to using libc_r by default and libkse as an option.
>
> libkse (libpthread) is going to be the default library very soon
> now, so you should probably leave it unchanged and let us (-java,
> -threads) figure out where the problems are and fix them.

Ok.  In that case I suggest people try Dan's suggestion, i.e. map
everything to libkse.  If the problems persist, try mapping everything
to libc_r.  If that solves things then at least we've got an idea that
the problems are either in libkse or the way its being used by the VM.

Reports on what happens when you try these options are obviously helpful.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org