Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 2000 00:15:32 -0300
From:      Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios <kernel@tdnet.com.br>
To:        Martin Gignac <mgignac@cinar.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DOS C programming VS UNIX C programming question...

Martin Gignac wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've looked in the archives for an answer to my question and couldn't find
> anything that seemed to fit the bill, so here goes:
>
> What good books out there teach the C programming language from a UNIX
> development environment point of view?
>
> I've just begun learning C using a book which was probably destined for DOS
> and Windows development system users because many of the included source
> files simply didn't compile properly, even after some minor tweaking (lots
> of undefined references). For exmaple, basically anything with "include
> <math.h>" using advanced math functions didn't work. I had to search
> the -questions archives to find a message stating that I had to include the
> '-lm' switch while invoking cc to link the math library (no sign of any of
> this in the DOS/Windows book). Turned out that did the trick, but at the
> same time made be realize there might be fundamental differences between
> UNIX and DOS/Windows C source files and the way the compilers handle stuff
> on both ends.
>
> So, I'm looking for sources of information that will teach me C programming
> specifically for the UNIX environment, using the standard UNIX tools (gcc,
> make, etc.) and the 'standard' UNIX way of using pre-built functions
> (whatever that may be). Does the K&R book "The C Programming Language" every
> one seems to talk about fit the bill? Would "Practical C programming, 3rd
> Edition" and "Programming with GNU Software" from O'Reilly also be
> appropriate? Any other suggestions?

C programming does not mean UNIX Programming.

"The C Programming Language, by K&R": a MUST have for anyone who wish to
learn C.

The book on UNIX Programming is: "Advanced Programming in the UNIX
Environment"

Oh Yeah! Good programmer knows about logic, try this one: "An
Introdution to Formal Specification and Z"

I hope these helps.

PS: remenber: man and info are your friends: man make, info make, info
gcc, etc.....