Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 1998 11:02:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Matt Simerson <matt@michweb.net>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting the Ports collection to BSDI.

On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Matt Simerson wrote:

> > I think so.  I'd expect BSDI to be compatible enough that you wouldn't
> > need more than the occasionally correction to the ports, and that you
> > don't need to do much more than install the ports collection and go
> > for it.  You'll also need some files in /usr/share/mk.
>
> This is what I was thinking but after reading a little but on the FreeBSD
> ports page it talked about having config files that recognized different
> OS's and would compile things appropriately for each one. I was wondering
> what it would take to get BSDI full citizenship with OpenBSD, NetBSD, and
> the rest of the BSD family within this ports collection.
>
> I'm hoping it's just a matter of defining a few OS variables and then
> testing each port to see if it's happy with BSDI. If not, then submit the
> necessary changes to the "port GOD" and get them added. Is this something
> we could work together with? I don't want to recreate the wheel and I've
> already got one machine with a full FreeBSD /ports tree. I'd rather not
> have another BSDI specific version.

Each other OS that does this has one person who takes up the job of
getting to know bsd.port.mk very well.  Satoshi (who is the FreeBSD
ports manager) has been open to discussion for allowing some changes to
bsd.port.mk to make that easier, but it needs a lead person.  If you
want to think about that, first requirement is to really read over and
understand bsd.port.mk, and the job of porting in general (that probably
means making, yourself, several ports, just to get the experience).  See
the kind of things that already exist, to make your job easier ...
you'll be surprised about just how flexible bsd.port.mk is.  At this
point, it's nearly a work of art.

I, myself, would probably ask BSDi if they were thinking about such a
thing, and how they'd react to it.  Might be, they'd want to do it.
They've been friendly, and contributed themselves to FreeBSD, just
remember that they make a profit on BSDi, so they have a different take
on things.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).