Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 18:45:33 +0200
From:      Cejka Rudolf <cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.3-RC5 now on ftp.freebsd.org

Will Andrews wrote (2001/04/20):
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 06:05:42PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> > With or without probelms, I think we should have a "ftp-master"
> > just like we have a cvsup-master server.
>
> I think so too.  It would allow us to give mirrors priority when we've
> got releases coming, and there's a release that's supposed to be on
> ftp.freebsd.org *TOMORROW*.  HELLO LIGHTNING, JKH, ET AL, WE HAVE A
> RELEASE AND ITS COMING OUT TOMORROW!!!  WHERE THE HELL IS OUR
> INFRASTRUCTURE?!?!  d:)

Yes yes yes. Great idea. And I would like to see even more changes:

On master site, please:

*) Do not upload files (especially iso images) with read permissions on.
   The problem is still here. The last case was with an alpha iso image,
   furthermore, it was uploaded to non-target place.

*) Give responsible person or an email address, where we can report
   ftp errors such as inaccessible files in the public tree. Postings
   into hubs@FreeBSD.org were insufficient and it seems that nobody
   knows who what uploads where. Why there are unreadable
   files, is there any good reason? Look in
   /pub/FreeBSD/development/{misc,ports/emulators,ports/math} and so on.

*) Separate or specify parts good for ftp mirroring and parts for
   cvs mirroring. At this time it seems to be branches/*,
   development/FreeBSD-CVS and doc/mailing-lists (but not all files):
   It is not very good idea to ftp mirror these subtrees - rather cvs
   should be used.

--
Rudolf Cejka   (cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz;  http://www.fee.vutbr.cz/~cejkar)
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of El. Engineering and Comp. Science