Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 22:56:42 -0500
From:      "Craig Boston" <craig@gjgth.gank.org>
To:        <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adding a 'bpf' group for /dev/bpf*

Crist J. Clark wrote:

> These are actually very different in that they are set{u,g}id commands
> (well, ps(1) is not set{u,g}id anymore and is root:wheel owned). The
> sniffing tools we've been discussing, and pretty much all of the ones
> I've used, tcpdump(1), snort(8), nmap(1), etc., are not. When
> tcpdump(1) or one of these ports is installed, there is no reason to
> give it any special group ownership. The thing that determines whether
> someone can sniff is the {u,g}id of the user executing the
> command. The port's Makefile doesn't need to know anything about your
> /etc/group; it just installs the file -r-xr-x-r-x root:wheel. The
> local administrator simply needs to execute the simple commands I put
> in my last mail to give a group sniffing powers. The files'
> permissions and ownership are never changed.

Since -current by default uses devfs, is there a standard way to make the
ownership/permissions of device nodes "sticky" so that they persist across
boots?  Or should we just put the appropriate commands in rc.local ?

Besides bpf, this would be useful, for example, for people who want to
change permissions on cd-rom devices to 644 so that non-root users can make
iso images (or give a special group cd burner rights).

Craig