Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 15:41:43 -0800
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Terry: a bystanders view...

In article <199701221759.SAA01019.kithrup.freebsd.hackers@yedi.iaf.nl> you write:
>Being just an innocent (...) bystander I cannot help wondering why
>you people don't create a freebsd-nitpicking list. I sincerely doubt
>that devoting 50% of -hackers traffic to some incrowd discussion
>serves any purpose. ;-)

Because Terry pops up on nearly every technical thread, and has been doing
so for, what, three years now?  Four years?  Ever since 386BSD days, anyway.
And his messages have a tendency to be *long*, and to say how everyone is
doing things wrong -- but, despite that, there have been few messages with
*code* in them.

Various people get very, very tired of this after a while.

Frankly, I like Terry.  I enjoy reading his diatribes, because they usually
have something useful in them.  (The recent messages being an exception --
sorry, Terry.)  And I often ask his advice or opinion about some code I'm
working on.

But I do understand how people get frustrated, and this frustration works
its way out as a vent periodically.  This is only the most recent one,
although it's probably the longest.

I also understand Terry's frustration at being asked for piecemeal patches
when he's been working on the whole thing.  I hadn't thought about putting
up an entire TerryOS system to look at it, though.  I hope that happens.

On the freebsd lists, sending out a long message with code is more likely to
get attention than sending out a long message with discussions.

And before Terry (or sympathizers ;)) get too upset:  after all this time,
after all the frustration and gnashing of teeth, people are still reading
his messages.  I assume that's because they do think he has something worth
listening to.  At least part of the time ;).

Sean.