Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 22:08:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Swap numbers in systcl?

Hi All:)

I'm looking to write a self throttling program which will use all the
resources on my system without driving it into oblivion.

I can tell when the CPU is used up, or when load average goes too high, or
when I'm using more of the network than I want.

But I'm not sure what to check to see when I'm using enough virtual memory
to start the system swapping.  I can't just check to see if swap is used
and or growing: it might be normal for another process, like named, to
very slowly suck down more and more virtual memory.  It's also not always
given back as quickly as I'd need to start more processes.

Suggestions?  Pointers to available docs most welcome:)

--- David