Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 23:15:59 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <akl@klemm.apsfilter.org>
To:        papowell@astart.com
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Loosing print jobs with LPRng 3.8.15

Hi,

Patrick ? Is it you ? The Patrick who develops LPRng ????
Well ...

Trapped over that debian bug description:

IMHO the best would be, to keep the port at version 3.8.10,
since somebody other told me, this downgrade fixed it.

Am not sure, if the workaround completely fixes the problem
for 3.8.15 ...

I released the following information on the apsfilter webserver:

If you use LPRng as line printer scheduler - most Linux distributions do -
please note, that LPRng 3.8.15 is known to cause loss of print jobs !!

It could be the case that also other newer LPRng releases have that bug.

Some people report, that a downgrade to 3.8.10 and 3.8.12 fixed the problem.

A workaround for 3.8.15 seems to be, configuring "done_jobs=0" in
/etc/lprng/lpd.conf (on Debian, other systems use other paths).

I can't give a recommendation whats better, to downgrade or to use
the workaround or perhaps even both.

Check this Debian bugreport that describes bug, workaround and what
downgrade has been successful for some people:

Best regards

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                             /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
http://www.64bits.de                     <  Powered by FreeBSD  >