Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:14:39 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Don Sutter <drs@suntreeaz.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fsck problem

>fsck is refusing to run telling me that it doesn't have write access.  I'm logged in to FreeBSD 4.3 as root and my system is installed on ad1 (root-ad1s1a, swap-ad1s1b, usr-ad1s1e)
>
>This is as far as I get...
>
>sparky# fsck -f -p
>/dev/ad1s1a: NO WRITE ACCESS
>/dev/ad1s1a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCE; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
>

>Hummm.  I thought I was running fsck manually...

   -p is prune mode, which is normally done automatically at startup. My
guess for the reason that it's failing is that the filesystem that you're
trying to fsck is already mounted. You can't fsck a mounted filesystem.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.