Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:22:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@free.fr>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Thomas Quinot <thomas@cuivre.fr.eu.org>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Failure to attach SCSI CD burner

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 20:30:27 +0200, G=E9rard Roudier wrote:

[...]

> > BUSY is a transient condition and a CD/ROM or a CD/R device is slow as =
> > 25 years old dog when it happens to deal with seeking. A 1 second delay
> > for the BUSY condition to go away does not seem to me a good compromise
> > here. Something like 3 seconds (and possibly 3 retries given that the
> > delay for a retry on BUSY status is hardcoded, but this doesn't matter =
> > lot) seems more appropriate, imo. In order to minimize changes in the
> > code, I suggest to also just make scsi_cd.c allow 3 retries for the REA=
> > CAPACITY command, for example.
>
> One of the reasons for the low retry count on the read capacity command i=
> that there are some HP/Philips drives (CD burners I think) that take a
> really long time to respond to a read capacity in some situations.  (Clos=
> to the 20 second timeout.)

Ok. I ignored that.

> Anyway, increasing the number of retries will just increase the amount of
> time that it takes for those drives to probe.  (The probe time is probabl=
> somewhere on the order of (retries + 1) * 20 seconds.)

Then the handling of the BUSY condition should rather (also?) be based on
a timeout condition than on a retry count.

> In this case, I'm not failing the attach, but rather just telling the use=
> that his drive is busy and I can't tell him the capacity at the moment.
> Hopefully the drive will be responding by the time he decides to mount it=
=2E
> (We do another read capacity in the open routine.)

Let user put a media and be hurried for some reasons :) to mount it and a
spurious mount failure may happen.

Btw, we obviously can live with the 1 retry handling on BUSY. This is
indeed not a very serious problem.

  G=E9rard.