Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 19:35:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Craig Huckabee <huck@mispwoso.nosc.mil>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   rdist on local machine

  Configuration:

  One FreeBSD 2.1 RELEASE server running a web server for 3 virtual hosts.
  I've bound each host's IP address to my network card using 'ifconfig alias'.

  Problem:

  One of the 3 virtual hosts used to be on a seperate machine.  It was used
  as a development server, so Web pages could be built and tested before
  being moved to a 'live' public server.  I used scripts that used 'rdist'
  to move files from a staging area to the 'live' server.
  I've consolidated all of the Web services onto one master server, using
  'virtual hosts' for everything.

  Now I can't get 'rdist' to work with the virtual hosts.  For example :

  The machine's name is mispwoso, one virtual hostname is products.

  mispwoso> rdist -Ryc /u0/stage_area/ products:/u0/products/

  This fails with a 'rcmd : Unrecognized error : 0'

  Is there a way to make rdist work or is there an easy way to get the
  same functionality from some other combination of tools?
  Am I missing something obvious here?

  Any help is appreciated,
  Craig
  huck@nosc.mil