Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 1996 17:08:41 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Dave Blizzard" <blizzard@torqmail.sunpub.com>
Cc:        "questions" <questions@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD NOT

> 1) I have now installed the BSD by turning off my IDE drive. As long as I boo
> from a floppy, it seems to work fine. So far no corruption of the IDE drive's
> partition table. (touch wood)

Sounds like an annoying yet workable solution.

> 2) I used  the A option for partitioning the SCSI drive and therefore am no
> longer worrying about the geometry. The disklabel still sees the drive as
> about 300mb too large so I am manually reducing the size of the /USR so that
> the system won't try and write to the non-existent space.

That's very weird - I wonder if this is a broken SCSI drive reporting its
size incorrectly?

> 3) do you have any problems with the /dev/lpt0 driver? This device works grea
> for me in dos but the lptest > /dev/lpt0 prints blank pages. (the kernel is
> set to use the IRQ 7)

You should install apsfilter - see /usr/ports/print

> 2) The installer destroys the partition table of the IDE drive even if the

Well, it's supposed to install a boot manager on "drive zero", which
is the only way you can "chain boot" multiple drives.  I'm not sure if
you selected the IDE drive or not.

> 3) Even though the install seems to go without errors, the bootmgr uses virus
> technology (sic) to install itself in track 0 sector 1. This cannot be remove
> by using fdisk /mbr as it also seems that the track is write protected. Even
> diskedit cannot zero out the sector. This has cause several screaming fits

That doesn't make much sense as I wipe out FreeBSD's boot manger with
`fdisk /mbr' all the time.

Something is definitely odd with your system.

> SOMEONE WHOULD WARN USERS OF THIS.

But it only happens to you.. :-)

> 4 Even if I put a small BSD partition on the IDE drive for root and swap, the
> BSD fdisk still screws up the SCSI partitions (thinks the drive is much large
> than reality) and then destroys the IDE drive.

Erm.

All I can really say is that you must have one of those hardware
combinations that frightens small children and FreeBSD.. :-)

For the record, I *never* recommend mixing IDE and SCSI in the same
box.  There's just too much weirdness involving which one "wins" at
being able to stick its drives in as 0x80 and 0x81.  I've come across
this situation twice in my charity consulting work and each time
performed an "IDEdectomy" to remove the IDE drives, after which
everything worked just great.  That shall continue to be my
recommendation until people stop building PC configurations with a
built-in gun aimed at their feet.

					Jordan