Date:      Sat, 19 Nov 2016 00:21:18 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Error values for g_vfs_done() and struct bio bio_error

I have a 1TB SATA disk attached to a SATA->USB "converter"
which I regularly (and successfully) use to attach external
"naked disks" to my system, and the devices /dev/da3 and
/dev/da3s1 appear. When trying to read data from it (for
example with dd), the following kind of error message is
printed by the kernel:

g_vfs_done():da3[READ(offset=0, length=1024)]error = 22

and

g_vfs_done():da3s1[READ(offset=0, length=1024)]error = 22

I already found where the function g_vfs_done() is defined
and that a struct bio exists where the member bio_error
will be set (which is then printed by the function).

Question:

Where can I find an explanation of what kind of error the
value 22 does represent?

Sidenote:

It's not possible to read data from the disk with dd, even
a simple "fdisk da3" and the respective gpart command also
just print errors, mounting attempts as -t ntfs and -t msdosfs
(optionally with -o large) fail as well.

And I'd like to know why. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany