Date:      29 Nov 2000 15:17:17 -0500
From:      Nat Lanza <magus@cs.cmu.edu>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>, Chuck McCrobie <mccrobi@aplcenMP.apl.jhu.edu>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC 2143 (IP over SCSI) Support in FreeBSD

Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> writes:

> Yes and no. The ANSI SCSI-2 spec took years to finalize. Same for SCSI-3. If
> it's a worthwhile feature, and you're dealing just with the software
> instantiation, it might be worth looking at doing for early releases.

iSCSI has a much more limited scope than the T10 work; one of the
major goals is to get something working and standardized quickly.

But yes, there is the possibility of the standardization process
taking a long time.

Even so, I'd much rather see an effort to implement iSCSI based on the
draft IETF documents than one to implement some vendor's incompatible
thing.

> > Our lab is working on SCSI-over-IP, and our target platforms are FreeBSD
> > and Linux. We would most likely be interested in contributing our code to
> > the FreeBSD community when we're done, but it's far too early to make any
> > promises.
>
> Can you keep us posted on this? We'd absolutely love it if CMU (d'ya
> work with Garth?) did this.

Sure.

Also, yes, I do work with Garth. He's no longer the director of the
Parallel Data Lab now that he's working on his startup, though. These
days the lab's headed by Dave Nagle, who's really more involved in the
iSCSI stuff.

> Ah. Cool. Is this available to be looked at? Define 'decent'...

It's not available yet, but I hope it will be before too long. Our
lab's industry sponsorship obligations and the time constraints of
paper deadlines limit when and how we can publically release code,
unfortunately.

A simple (~1500 line) server using the Linux SCSI generic layer to
talk to a Quantum Atlas 10K can pull sequential read/write data over a
Myrinet link at media speeds (25MB/sec or so), and one using a SCSI
ramdisk as backing store can do at least 35-40MB/sec over Myrinet. We
see slightly lower performance over gigabit ether, but we haven't
spent too much time optimizing gigabit performance.

This is with a simple userlevel server and kernel-level client, and no
unusual hardware (well, other than the Myrinet, I guess) -- the
machines involved are generic PII boxes, and we're using standard
unmodified TCP and SCSI.

--nat

--
nat lanza --------------------- research programmer, parallel data lab, cmu scs