Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 2002 09:49:12 -0500
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreshPorts sanity testing - should errors be sent to committers?

Hi folks,

You should be aware that FreshPorts performs automated sanity
testing[1] of every port commit.  For some months an opt-in
feature[2] for committers has existed.  This feature allows the
committer to be notified of any sanity test failures.  Problems,
sometimes obscure are caught sooner rather than later.  FWIW, at
present, there are 33 committers opt'd in.

I wish to raise the issue of making this feature non-opt-in.  In
which case FreshPorts would automatically notify both the committer
and the maintainer of any sanity test failure.  This will remove the
manual notification I do now and ensure that committers and
maintainer are aware of errors ASAP.

Any comments?

===============

[1] - Here are the tests which are run:

make -V PORTNAME -V PKGNAME -V DESCR -V CATEGORIES
-V PORTVERSION -V PORTREVISION -V COMMENT -V MAINTAINER
-V EXTRACT_SUFX -V BUILD_DEPENDS -V RUN_DEPENDS
-V FORBIDDEN -V BROKEN

make master-sites-all

make -V PORTCOMMENT

The return values are also sanity tested.  If anyone wishes to add to
the sanity testing suite, please let me know.

[2] - To opt in: create yourself a FreshPorts
(http://www.FreshPorts.org/) account, using your @FreeBSD.org
adddress.  After confirming your account with a token emailed out to
you, a menu item for opt'ing in will appear.  Just follow the
directions at that link.

--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/