Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 09:37:40 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org, dgl@bsdi.com, jim@cdrom.com, papowell@astart.com, wpaul@freebsd.org, ceren@magnesium.net, ryan@ryan.net, murray@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: Documentation selection in sysinstall

>   And while I've got Jordan's attention -- did the last attempt at
>   re-writing sysinstall generate any specification documents?  If nothing
>   else, they'd be useful content for the doc project. ]

No, this is one of the items on my TODO list which I really really really
have to get to soon or we'll never get Son Of Sysinstall finished.

> In theory, this is a doddle.  sysinstall already lets the user choose from
> packages to install.  In practice, I think it's a little more difficult,
> because:

I'm still wondering why the docs bits can't be, at a minimum,
"front-ended" by the ports collection in a new doc category?  I can
understand why you'd want to keep them in their own CVS repository
section (doc/), but it would be cool if you could use ports to build
and install (or make packages out of) the various documentation sets,
especially now that there's talk of breaking up the handbook.  Once
that happened, you'd automagically appear in the INDEX and under your
own category.  No work would need to be done to sysinstall.  My life
would be easier. :)

>   2.  We need to find a UI model that allows the user to efficiently
>       select the language and formats they want to install.

This wouldn't be quite so elegant, but perhaps Satoshi also wouldn't
object to giving you more than one category under ports, just as the
German, Japanese, Korean, etc. ports have done.  It's either that or
accelerate his efforts to go to a multi-layered ports collection so
you could have sub-categories.  That would lead to menu items like
doc-english, doc-vietnamese, doc-french, etc.

> 	I'm thinking of initially presenting a dialog box that looks
> 	like this:

I'm certain that once you start writing code for libdialog, my
suggestions above will start sounding a lot less icky than they
probably do to you right now. :-)

- Jordan