Date:      Mon, 03 Feb 2003 16:28:03 -0500
From:      Tom Parquette <tparquet@twcny.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Post mortum on Gnome2 problem

Hi!
I had a problem 3 weeks ago where my Gnome2 desktop disappeared and took
email and most of my stuff with it.  I have finished rebuilding and I'm
back on the air.

Below is the email I tried to send to the questions list to see if
someone could help me.  It was thrown back at me.  I guess something
thought I was spam.

Anyway, I would like to see if anybody has any ideas on what might have
caused this.
The configuration is NOT running on any machine but I was able to tar
the filesystems and  ftp them to my wife's window$ machine before I was
forced to reinstall.

Has anybody seen anything like this?
Even though an answer would not help at this point, if there is
something I did that could cause the problem again, I'll call this a
learning experience and not do it again.
TIA for any help.

Here is the email that was refused by freebsd-questions:
I was working with my machine and the last reboot caused my Gnome2
desktop to "disappear". By disappear, I'm talking about: The Home icon
is gone. The trash icon is gone. The start here icon is gone. The
wallpaper used to be brushed metal (the default wallpaper)now is is a
blue/green solid color. Poking around, I believe the winddow manager was
changed to Enlightenment from Sawfish (I changed it back with no change
in results.)

When I try to start Mozilla from an icon it does not start. If I open an
xterm winddow, I get "No running window found." then the command prompt
returns. Some applications, e.g. xosview, gaim, appear to work
correctly. The screensaver seems to work correctly. If I signon with a
different user ID, the results are almost the same except the logoff
pulldown does not log you off. I'm also running GDM2.

This is a 4.7-STABLE system that was last updated about 2 weeks ago.

The only known changes/factors are:
I had the Gnome system monitor running. It was answering pulldown list
and buttons so slowly, I had to CNTL-ALT-BACKSPACE to get out of it. (I
ended up with nothing moving at all.)
I installed healthd, which complained about IPv6 not being there.
I added IPv6 support and rebooted.
It was after the reboot for IPv6 that I noticed the problem.

ANY help would be more than welcome.
Thanks
Tom