Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:16:01 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        ABDALLAH Faycal <faycal.abdallah@cegetel.fr>
Cc:        'sigwart koebel' <s.koebel@web.de>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "'ports@freebsd.org'" <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ports question

# faycal.abdallah@cegetel.fr / 2002-09-17 13:05:53 +0200:

> hi list,
>
> i recently cvsuped my ports collection so that i can install the latest
> software versions... but the problem is that when the new software is
> installed the old one (that was installed during installation of freebsd)
> will not be uninstalled (such as named 8.x.x and opessl-0.9.6a)

    right. there's no uninstall procedure for software in the base
    system.

> and some software needs the new ports to be used, as an example:
> apache2.0.40 needs at least openssl-0.9.6g to be installed....

    i don't use apache-2.0, so lemme check the makefiles... ok.
    i *think* i got the code right. it goes like this:

    unless you make the apache2 port with -DWITHOUT_SSL, it sets
    USE_OPENSSL=yes. it then (unconditionally) includes
    /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.pre.mk, which says: is USE_OPENSSL set?
    if it is, and the system is anything newer than a very early
    4.0-STABLE, set OPENSSLBASE=/usr, and OPENSSLDIR=/etc/ssl (the
    OpenSSL port is only considered if your ${OSVERSION}
    (sysctl -n kern.osreldate) is less than 400014).

    bummer it would seem.

    if you don't feel like tinkering with /usr/ports/Mk/*, you should
    update your /usr/ports (there was a relevant fix to the OpenSSL port
    during the last few days), and build /usr/ports/security/openssl
    with -DOPENSSL_OVERWRITE_BASE.

> i tried to use "portupgrade openssl\*" but without any success...

    that would be fairly obvious would you read the relevant Makefiles :)

> Is there is a method to uninstall the software installed by default with
> freebsd so that the newly installed packages see the most recent installed
> software

    as i said, there's no method for uninstalling base software, but
    this is not an issue provided there are no problems in the port
    infrastructure like the one i described above.

    now, the bind9 thing. i use a different name server software, but
    (again :) reading the ports' Makefiles it's quite obvious the
    maintainer of both versions knows quite well what he's doing. that's
    most probably the reason the bind9 port doesn't include a knob for
    overwriting the base bind similar to the one found in
    /usr/ports/net/bind8/Makefile.

    then again, i don't see how this is a problem: just start the bind
    in /usr/local instead of the one in /usr.
    `grep named /etc/defaults/rc.conf` will certainly help.

--
begin 666 nonexistent.vbs
FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE