Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 14:58:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Gary Hall <gary.hall@mcg-graphics.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: POP3 Internal Mail Server

I assume it was an accident that the same message was sent four times
simultaneously. :)

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Gary Hall wrote:

> We currently have an internal POP3 mail server that connects to our ISP
> via a router every 15 minutes to collect mail. Internal mail clients
> then connect to the internal machine to pick up their mail. This POP3
> mail server runs on a Windows 95 machine and, consequently, is prone to
> crashing.
>
> I would like to move the internal POP3 server over to a FreeBSD machine.
> Are there any applications for FreeBSD that would fulfill this function
> ?

There are several pop servers available in the ports tree.  The Washington
pop server (in the imap package) is good, and our sysadmins are raving
about cucipop.  qpopper is pretty much dead as a result of the major
security bugs found recently and it's bloated stature.