Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 19:05:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.org, jb@cimlogic.com.au, jdp@polstra.com, obrien@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: porting libjava to FreeBSD

Daniel Eischen once stated:

=> => Ick.
=> =
=> =Ick indeed.
=>
=> This "icks" may offend the libjava people :) I removed them from the CC:
=
=Since FreeBSD threads  run in one process, using a  signal to suspend a
=thread _is_ icky :-)

Well, for one,  this is a FreeBSD's limitation, not  advantage, IMO. And
secondly,  libjava folks  obviously don't  know that...  BTW, any  plans
on  kernel-threading?  So that  two  threads  do  run  on two  CPUs,  if
available?..

=> => I   think  it   would   be  better   to   suspend  threads   using
=> => pthread_suspend_np().
=> =
=> =Yep.
=>
=> So,  should  I just  patch  it  up, or  would  there  be a  need  for
=> freebsd_threads.c  anyway? Can  one of  the "thread  people", please,
=> send a (even if untested)  patch? The linux_threads.c is included for
=> your convenience. Yours,
=
=I  would make  a freebsd_threads.c  and use  other models  as examples.
=Remember that FreeBSD threads are user  threads, and some of the things
=the Linux  thread support  does, we  don't have to.  I don't  know that
=Linux threads is a good model to use because of this.

Can one of the gurus, please, step out and make it then? Thank you...

Yours,

	-mi