Date:      Thu, 02 Mar 2000 20:20:43 +0900
From:      Motomichi Matsuzaki <mzaki@e-mail.ne.jp>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IPv6 trouble

Hi.

I built and installed current-20000301 today,
and use INET6 enabled kernel *without* ipv6_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf.
(this probably is the default situation made by the installer)

I receive mails by ports/mail/fetchmail from my ISP,
then re-send them to local SMTP(sendmail).
But, today, it doesn't work.
I upgraded ports/mail/fetchmail, but nothing changes.

fetchmail says:

1 message for mzaki at mail.server.of.isp (566 octets).
reading message 1 of 1 (566 octets) fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from mail.server.of.isp
fetchmail: Query status=SMTP

and in syslog:

/kernel: Connection attempt to TCP ::0001:25 from ::0001:1129

I suspect,

* fetchmail inquire "localhost" to resolver
* resolver returns "::1" because there is the entry in /etc/hosts
* fetchmail try to connect port 25 on "::1"
* sendmail listen on only port 25 of inet4, not of inet6
* trial failes, and fetchmail giving up

Then, I commented out "::1" from /etc/hosts, works fine.

By the way, WHO is responsible for this?
fetchmail? resolver? my setting?

--
Motomichi Matsuzaki <mzaki@e-mail.ne.jp>
Dept. of Biological Science, Faculty of Sciences, Univ. of Tokyo, Japan