Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 1995 19:21:00 PST
From:      trost@cloud.rain.com (Bill Trost)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD-2.0-CDROM can't find Conner 420 tape drive

I posted my question about this once before (although perhaps not
here), and got limited response:

I have a Conner 420, but the kernel doesn't see it (I can use it from
DOS, so it's not a hardware problem).  I've tried playing with the
jumpers, and playing with the kernel settings (trying the tape as both
unit 1 and 2).  I've even tried redefining DRVS_PER_CTLR as 1 in
/sys/i386/isa/fd.c, since I only have one floppy disk drive.

I've tried adding another floppy disk drive, and have met with a
minimal degree of success -- the kernel has actually admitted to
(i.e., attach()ed) the existence of a tape drive with one of the disks
I tried, but it couldn't access anything on the floppy bus with that
floppy drive attached.  DOS couldn't find anything on the floppy bus
in that configuration either, so I assume that the second floppy was
hosing the bus somehow.

I've also managed to have the floppy tape attach by defining DEBUG and
turning fd_debug on in fd.c.  I couldn't access the tape under those
circumstances either -- as I recall, the tape went to and fro for a
while before I eventually received an I/O error.

I've also booted the GENERIC kernel from the 950210-SNAP floppy, and
it didn't find the floppy tape either (regardless of jumper settings).
It's a little hard to tell, but that kernel appears to be configured
for floppy tapes (_ftattach is in the kernel namelist).

Can anyone tell me why I can't access the tape drive, and better yet,
what I can do about it?